One of our favorite snowy-day treats is this Cauliflower-Cheese Soup adapted from Mollie Katzen’s Recipes: Soups. It’s cheesy, creamy, stick-to-your-ribs good, and also full of vitamins—just what we crave this time of year. Ready quickly too for an easy week-night dinner.
- 1 medium-large potato, peeled and diced (about 2-3 cups diced)
- 1 package Locavorious cauliflower, thawed (set aside half the package)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups (packed) grated cheddar (plus extra for garnishing, if desired)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp dill
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- black pepper, to taste
Place potato, cauliflower (except for the two cups reserved), carrot, garlic, onion, salt, and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer until all the vegetables are very tender. Purée in a blender or food processor, and transfer to a kettle or Dutch oven.
Add the reserved cauliflower pieces to the purée along with all remaining ingredients. Heat gently, and serve topped with a little extra cheese.